1. I vow not to bore my audience to death.
2. I vow to give more thought to what the most important messages are for my audience, and then to think of interesting stories and examples to make them memorable.
3. I won’t practice on my audience.
4. I will always practice my speech in advance on video at home or the office.
5. I will never give a presentation unless I have seen myself deliver it on a practice video in a way that I am happy with it.
6. I won’t use slides with lots of words, numbers and bullet points.
7. I will use slides that focus on one message at a time and use one image to make that idea come alive.
8. I won’t speak longer than I am scheduled to speak.
9. I will practice with my technology in advance, so I don’t ever have to apologize to my audience for my technology not working.
10. I will never apologize to my audience for not having prepared or for using the wrong slide, because I will have always prepared and will only use the proper, prepared slides.
Please call 212.764.4955 if you’d like to schedule a personalized public speaking training workshop for you or your organization.
TJ Walker is the founder of Media Training Worldwide and has been conducting public speaking training workshops and seminars since 1984. Walker has trained Presidents of countries, Prime Ministers, Nobel Peace Prize winners, Super Bowl winners, U.S. Senators, Miss Universes and Members of Parliament.
His book, “Secret to Foolproof Presentations” was a USA Today #1 Bestseller, as well as a Wall Street Journal, and Business Week Bestseller. Walker is a also a regular contributor to Forbes and the Reuters Insider Network and has written for the Huffington Post. A frequent network news communications analyst, Walker has made more than 1000 network TV and radio appearances on CBS, ABC, Fox News Channel, MSNBC, CNN, Bloomberg TV, Al Jazeera, NBC, CCTV, Fox Business, Russia Today, HLN, TrueTV, Comedy Central, Sirius and NPR. In 2009, Walker entered the Guinness Book Of World Records for most talk show appearances ever in a 24 hour period.
Walker is also the author of “Media Training A-Z” and “Media Training Success.” Walker is also the producer/host of The TJ Walker News and Comment Channel on YouTube which has thousands of subscribers and millions of views.
Walker was a merit scholar at Duke University where he graduated magna cum laude. He has lectured or conducted trainings at Yale University, Columbia University and Princeton University.